Camio offers a version of Camio Box made to run inside of VMWare Workstation.
What you need
- VMWare Workstation (version 10+)
- Camio Box VMWare Workstation Appliance Image.
- A computer that can run VMWare Workstation (Windows or Linux).
To start, you'll need the VMWare Workstation software installed on your computer. Workstation is not free, but they do offer a 30-day free trial for non-corporate uses.
1. Install VMWare Workstation
- Go to this link: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/workstation-evaluation.html
- Download the version of Workstation that is compatible with your computer.
- Follow the steps listed on the downloads page to install VMWare Workstation onto your computer.
2. Download the Camio Box VMWare Appliance
- Download the camio-box-os-vmware-2017-02-01.zip file from go.camio.com/vmware
- Unzip the downloaded file to extract the camio-box-os-vmware-2017-02-01.ovf file. OVF files are Virtual-Machine Appliance files that contain an image of a virtual machine that can loaded into any VMWare Workstation environment.
3. Get a MAC address for your Virtual Camio Box
Copy the MAC address shown on this page:
Note: If you're running multiple Virtual Machines, then you can get additional MAC addresses by appending a number at the end of the URL above (e.g. /box/register/box_vm_mac2).
4. Create the Camio Box Virtual Machine
- Open VMWare Workstation
- Go to 'File' > 'Open'
- Select the camio-box-os-vmware-201X-XX-XX.ovf file that you have previously unzipped.
- Import the virtual machine
5. Set the MAC address and Networking for your VM
- Go to 'VM' > 'Settings' from your Camio Box VM tab in Workstation.
- Select the 'Network Adapter' option, make sure that 'Bridged Networking' is selected.
- Click the 'Advanced' option, and enter your MAC address copied from the previous step in the 'MAC Address' field
- Close the 'Advanced' dialog and save your changes
- NOTE - For Windows users, you may need to follow these additional instructions to enable bridged networking: https://www.youtube.com/
6. Start your Camio Box Virtual Machine
Click the Green-arrow at the top of the window to start your VM. Once the virtual machine is finished booting, it's ready to be registered to your Camio account.
7. Register your Camio Box:
- Go to camio.com/box/register/box_vm_mac
- Enter a name for your Box.
- Click 'Register' and wait for confirmation of registration success to appear on that page. It should register within 30 seconds.
Congratulations! You have now registered your virtual Camio Box. Go to the camio.com/boxes page to connect cameras on your network to your Camio account.
You can of course customize the amount of resources dedicated to your Camio Box virtual machine. For more information see this help article : How do I tune my Camio Box VM to match the number of connected video streams?.