Camio offers a version of Camio Box made to run inside of VMWare Workstation.
What you need
- VMWare Workstation (version 10+)
- Camio Box VMWare Workstation Appliance Image.
- A computer that can run VMWare Workstation (Windows or Linux).
- A MAC address, given to you by Camio, to use with your virtual Camio Box.
To start, you'll need the VMWare Workstation software installed on your computer. Workstation is not free, but they do offer a 30-day free trial for non-corporate uses.
1. Install VMWare Workstation
- Go to this link: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/workstation-evaluation.html
- Download the version of Workstation that is compatible with your computer.
- Follow the steps listed on the downloads page to install VMWare Workstation onto your computer.
2. Download the Camio Box VMWare Appliance
- Download the camio-box-os-vmware-2017-02-01.zip file from go.camio.com/vmware
- Unzip the downloaded file to extract the camio-box-os-vmware-2017-02-01.ovf file. OVF files are Virtual-Machine Appliance files that contain an image of a virtual machine that can loaded into any VMWare Workstation environment.
3. Get a MAC address for your Virtual Camio Box
Please email email@example.com to request a MAC address for your virtual machine.
Note: You must use a MAC address provided by Camio in order to register your Virtual Camio Box.
4. Create the Camio Box Virtual Machine
- Open VMWare Workstation
- Go to 'File' > 'Open'
- Select the camio-box-os-vmware-201X-XX-XX.ovf file that you have previously unzipped.
- Import the virtual machine
5. Set the MAC address and Networking for your VM
- Obtain a MAC address from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to 'VM' > 'Settings' from your Camio Box VM tab in Workstation.
- Select the 'Network Adapter' option, make sure that 'Bridged Networking' is selected.
- Click the 'Advanced' option, and enter your MAC address in the 'MAC Address' field
- Close the 'Advanced' dialog and save your changes
- NOTE - For Windows users, you may need to follow these additional instructions to enable bridged networking: https://www.youtube.com/
6. Start your Camio Box Virtual Machine
Click the Green-arrow at the top of the window to start your VM. Once the virtual machine is finished booting, it's ready to be registered to your Camio account.
7. Register your Camio Box:
- Go to www.camio.com/box/register
- Enter a name for your Box and enter the MAC address that you set for your virtual Camio Box.
- Click 'Register' and wait for confirmation of registration success to appear on that page. It should register within 30 seconds.
Congratulations! You have now registered your virtual Camio Box. Go to the www.camio.com/boxes page to connect cameras on your network to your Camio account.
You can of course customize the amount of resources dedicated to your Camio Box virtual machine. For more information see this help article : How do I tune my Camio Box VM to match the number of connected video streams?.